Friday, April 27, 2012

Okay first off............. then there was more.

Dear Readers, 

 There they go changing things again. First off they changed blogspot so that now I have to use another browser to post to the blog, which bugs me, then they tell me that my old internet browser is not up to their standards, but if I really want to look keen I could get their prized program.  The more a company owns you the more you will feel owned by that company every time you have to sign a new deal, get a new program, or right what they want you write, or edit it the way they want you to edit so that they can get more sales from your words.  In this case Blogger and the other places that make the internet what it is, aren't really yours, till you pay someone for them.  If you are getting a free service, wait till they change it and then complain like me.  Laughs, sadly, nothing seems to stay the same, I liked how the place looked before the change, it was easy to use before the changes.

 I haven't been in the mood to write the long way, as I can just imagine it the super fast way and see all the fancy cars, the space ships, the islands that are made out of the earth under your feet, but from deep down like 500 miles under your feet, and all those other things that the imagination can do, but now I have to get some of that in the head out of the head out of the head or else the head gets boggy and slow at imagining other things.  sighs.

Give me a week to figure out if I want to scream or not, okay I did scream a bit at the Tom Petty concert I went to just last Saturday,  Great show, a few songs I had no clue what they were, but that was going to be a given, as I don't buy records much anymore, heck I even use the term records if that can date me for you all.   I don't have a smart phone, Don't plan on getting one, as they cost more, and would not fit my hand like the headset kind I like, the ones that even though they aren't do look a bit more like the old bell telephone hand held bell shaped knobby phones from yesteryear.  There will always be something cool about having a speaker up near your ear and a mouth piece down by your mouth that you don't get with a book like small flat panel that reminds me more of a deck of cards than a phone, which just goes to show you that they aren't being used like phones much these days anyway.  People just like the hand held computers that they don't have to have a lap or desk ready for them to use.  But people are just as addicted to them as they were their old phones in the houses they used to talk out of, only now they can carry the phone with them anywhere and look a bit silly doing it, like they are lost in their own little worlds of games and talking.  Which they are.  They have this idea that they are more connected to the world than they were before, but now they can ignore the people standing right next to them.   Or they can be on the phone and also sitting in seats in a big arena watching, or sorta watching Tom Petty talk or sing or play a guitar,  Sometimes I just wanted to reach out an electronic hand and turn them all off, but then I thought that they'd lose their sense of place and all go screaming for their mother's and father's and someone to give them back their toys.

In my stories in my head, I have several phone devices, mostly just like my own flip open ear to mouth phone, but with added features, like always being connected to somewhere else, or being a device to use to make other things like 3-D hologram displays that are interactive, where you can just reach in and move things about and voice command the display to change, and layout different views like a world or city or even a house, or building that you can't do in the world we live in just yet.

But I try not to live like I can't do anything without having my phone near me, In fact as I type I can't quite remember where my cellphone is off hand, I know it could be in the kitchen, or my bedroom on top of a rock display case, or it could be lost in a pocket of a pair of pants, or outside under a rose bush or in the trash can or.... oh the list goes on and on, I could have nuked it and made it into a toaster just to spite the darn gaming world.  Okay really it is not that bad it is either the first two places or it is lost, laughs a bit off handily at the idea that I could lose something that other people would just panic over.  It is just a phone or a handy stopwatch or calculator to me.  As I have have used those two other features in recent weeks, seeing as how I don't have a regular stopwatch and I like lite calculators, and have need to get another one that can do complex numbers and square roots and things like that, but I haven't gone to the extreme of doing that again, like I did long ago with an old Ti-35 or was it 55, it had light emitting diodes that I could see at night without having the lights on in my room.  Now I just do without the big number crunching or write it long hand on a notebook I keep handy for such things.  But I don't like that this new phone can't use numbers bigger than 1 billion.  What is with that?  Beam up my brain I don't use big numbers, so why have a calculator on my phone that can do trillion cubic feet to gallons of saline solution with X amount of halite?  Come on you didn't save much data processing power by taking away the function of being able to go to 10 to the 93rd power did you?  Oh well they just made the phone less useful outside of being a phone, which is almost all I use it for anyway.  No  I don't want to download a App for that, at least not at x.xx dollars and cents that I can ill afford, if I was going to spend a lot of money on games and things I would just go drop 3 quarters into the pool table and play pool and drink real beer and talk to real people, even though half of them, would be hugging their phones, so as not to lose them in the cracks of the bar stools, or somewhere on the tables or a pool table pocket.

I must be an old timer now, or at least seem that way in my views.

Oh and before I forget it, the weather is fine and we have lots of veggies growing in the beds out back, though I seem to have gotten impatient as things take long to grow and I can see them fruiting out and getting eaten faster than they can grow and get there.

I plan on making my mulberry trees more like bushes next season, but that is going to have to wait a while for pruning them.  They were a bit tasty, I'd like to have more, but will have to wait on the thorn less blackberries to grow out and get ripe.  I have eaten ones in the wilds in recent weeks, and have gathered odd seeds I have no clue what they are, for testing later.  So it is not like I haven't eaten fresh fruits and things, just not a lot from my yard.  Oh I have been collecting green seed pods from radishes that have gone to seed, they are a nice spring taste, almost slightly sweet with a hint of radish flavor,  I plan next year to grow a few rows of them just for that purpose as the radish seed pods produce a lot more per plant than the roots do and I wanted to try them in a mild dill pickle or sweet pickle or something to can up with odd things you don't see anywhere else.  I am always thinking of new ways to collect odd edible seeds and pods and see if things are edible at different times, even though no one else seems to know what the heck I am talking about,  maybe if I had more books on the subject, but even then, I don't think many people think about all the foods we don't eat now.   When I see pictures of markets in other lands, where the farmers are just a few miles away in the hills and valleys and they bring 50 kinds of potatoes to market cause they grow them all.  You just don't get that in a grocery store near you do you?  Once a long time ago in a report that was text based only, they mentioned that in South America likely they ate 20,000 different kinds of plants.  Granted some of them weren't all in one region, but 20,000 different plants would just overwhelm the local market around here, you'd need 18 years to try one at every meal and never repeat any.  We are so limited in our choices it is not even funny any more.  Kinda of sad to say the least.  I have always dreamed of having had tasted every edible plant on earth at least once, seeing that likely that is going to impossible unless I get started collecting them myself and going to places that have them and buying trips to the moon and all the other places that new and unusual plants are being grown.  ( the moon might have plants, or at least the greenhouses there might have plants by the time I get there to sample the local growing conditions for that colony the other countries have placed there from now till the time I get up there to sample the local lettuce crops )

The whole concept of BioWebScape was centered around that notion that we have a lot more food sources than we have been lead to believe just by going down to the local food shop, or local market.  We Could be growing more millet in the drier regions of the USA that we can't get corn to grow in because of the dry climate.  We could be growing more things that we just don't want to grow cause someone says it is to hard, or the rain is not there for it, or the local population just won't like that oddly shaped veggie or strange new taste.  We have been limiting ourselves into a bottleneck and now that we are here we are complaining we are running out of food.  Well if you only eat 5 kinds of the 3,000 kinds of potatoes in the world, whose fault it is?  If you only eat 3 grains and haven't even thought of making millet into ethanol as it does better in the dry conditions of the New Climate out west than corn now does, and you are complaining, well do the looking into the other things, you could be doing.   I have said in the past, why aren't we looking at Kudzu as a crop in places that it already grows, and using it for more than something to complain about.  Sure it is here and well it is not native, but you can't go back and tell those people that moved it here all those years ago that it would turn into what it did.  Just learn a new way to use it instead of just spraying it year and year over trying to get rid of it, when you could be funding a way to use it for something.  We have all these creatures and plants that didn't start here, though we are ones to complain as most of aren't from these parts unless we can trace our trees that far back.  We are almost all transplants to somewhere we weren't before.  If you want to complain go right ahead, but know that someone out there is trying to do something besides complain and use these things now that they are here.   250,000 years ago in a land far away a bird dropped a seed that he had eaten and it had not gotten digested totally and bingo a new plant arrived to the land he was flying over, he never did stop to ask anyone if they would mind having a new plant species there or not and never even came back that way, as he was eaten just a few minutes later by a bigger bird, thinking about the nice snack that just flew by.  So the story of the first Plant that no one liked on that little spot of land oh so long ago started.   We are only a few thousand years in our present locations, and only have records of a while of being here, and even though we love the world we live in now, in 50 years it will be totally different even if we do not one thing to change it.  It will get changed just by being here.  The sun will keep pushing ions on the planet, the rains will fall the floods will wash plants and seeds and animals to new locations and things will change.  If we don't learn to live with it, or at least learn to make the best of it, then that is our faults not the rest of the world's.   We are always claiming to be the biggest and brightest creatures on the face of globe, yet we are acting like spoiled kids and not getting our way.

20,000 new tasty things to try, or maybe millions of them, can't you see the potential ?  Who wants to be limited to 3 kinds of foods for the rest of their lives?  Not any bright Eyed Kid I see in the mirror everyday.

The peace of Christ that passes all understanding to you all.
Charles.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home